I like to joke that I am a professional photographer who took a 15 year detour into the world of tech startups and Silicon Valley. The reality is that I’ve been fortunate to have had several careers — the first of which coincided with the dawn of the commercial Internet in the mid 1990’s. Over the past 20 years, I’ve started up or helped run several technology companies in Silicon Valley.
Today I work as a professional photographer documenting under-reported communities of people, stories, and causes that I’m interested in.
- I developed one of the first websites and on-line publications back in 1993.
- I’ve founded or helped to start a number of technology companies.
- I fought the internet ad “agency wars” in the mid 1990’s at the dawn of the commercial Internet.
- I fought the “search wars” in the early 2000’s just as Google started to really shine.
- I’ve worked extensively in the online advertising and marketing space. Please accept my apology in advance as I am probably responsible for more than a few of the ad banners you’ve had to put up with over the years..
- I love analyzing how people use websites and helped create measurement standards and some popular open source web analytics software tools.
- I produced a documentary about the musician Jeff Buckley.
- I’ve written a book about how photographers can share their images online using WordPress as well as some handy plugins.
- I carry a camera with me wherever I go.
I really enjoy coaching startups and other entrepreneurs. If you think I can be helpful, please get in touch.
I make photographs for my own projects as well as for editorial and corporate clients. Head over to my photography website for more details.